Expat Blog

living in Costa Rica

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The day to day

It has been a few weeks now and the kids have really adjusted to going to an all Spanish speaking school. I have  been very impressed by how much they understand in their classrooms. Kris  and Jazz my 12 and 10 year olds, can now pray during our nightly devotions in Spanish! It's just amazing what the Lord is doing in them. After school each day the younger ones spend time creating paper doll world... which has got to be the most inexpensive way to keep them occupied.


Last weekend we were introduced to a team of missionaries from the US and Costa Rica. They were truly a blessing to be around. 
We visited a feeding center with them where over 50 children were being fed. Afterwards we handed out clothing to them. 


On our way back home we stopped for lunch at a chicken stop and headed to the market. If you have ever been to an outdoor flea market, then you would have sort of an idea of what this market is like. They sell everything there! There was a little boy of about 10 years old who followed us around the whole time we were there. Here is the account of our encounter with him told from Antonio's point of view:
Today I had an incredible encounter while shopping with a team of missionaries after we were approached by a young boy who was begging in Managua here is a paraphrased and translated transcript of the encounter.
Beggar boy: (with excitement as Gringos with cash approach him) Sir, sir, can I make you a rose out of this blade of grass for your wife.
Me: (already being hip to his craft and realizing that the artwork only last a day or so and then decomposes) no thanks.
Beggar boy: well, can you give me a dollar to help me.
Me: (not willing to show weakness by acknowledging the request) "..."
Beggar boy: Sir, please one dollar.
Me: ...
Missionary friend: (with a smile as I looked on at first in fear because acknowledging this kid was to invite more persistent begging) Little boy, I don't have a dollar to give but will you accept the little that I do have to give.
Beggar boy: (wide-eyed with glee) Yes!
Missionary friend: Do you have a relationship with Jesus as your savior?
Beggar boy: (with curiosity) no.
Missionary friend: Would you like me to show you how to get one?
Beggar Boy: Yes.
The rest was textbook evangelism. The young boy openly professed his acceptance of Christ, he was given a Gideon Bible that happened to be in the Missionary's pocket, and was assured that he would begin to sense the change in his heart.
I was in shock at what I had just witnessed. I was ashamed that I was so numb that I missed the opportunity. I was overjoyed that this young boy was reached in spite of me.
Moments later, We were haggling with a vendor over the price of her goods, she wanted to charge us the gringo price after she had charged another fellow 33% less. We had given the lady 10 Cordoba (the price charged previously) she insisted that I owed her another 5 cordoba. At that moment the little beggar boy appears, reaches into his pocket, gives the lady the extra five Cordoba.
Wow, that is all I've got right now.

What a wonderful way to end that day we had together. The next day we had church at the chapel and the worship was amazing. They were leaving right after service so after many pictures and hugs they grabbed their backpacks and headed to the van destined for Costa Rica. 
The following week I was on a mission. I had decided that I would begin to potty train the children in the babies room at the orphanage. I would begin with the 4 year old and work my way down to the 1 year old. Ophelia was my first project. She is a bright and lovely child who I could tell was ready to get out of those size 5 diapers. 
I began by instructing the worker who watches over the babies with Lauren to keep her liquids to a minimum and take away the sippy cup. She would stay with me during the day and sleep at the orphanage at night. The first couple of days I have to admit, I wondered about my sanity as I washed poop out of her underwear for the third time. By day 3 she was going the whole day without any accidents. 

So proud of her!!! Once she has gone a full week or so without the constant worry of accidents, then we will move on to Leo. He is nicknamed Leo the lion and I'm sure he is going to make this a real chore for me. 

On the very bright side we have hired a helper. I don't know what to call her... maid, worker, helper, housekeeper... Her name is Gloria, maybe I'll just call her Gloria. We have hired a Gloria!

I'm sure she doesn't care but it just felt really weird to ask her..."Wanna be my maid?" (Color Purple) LOL
We asked her what she would like to get paid per hour and she told us just as calm as can be... "12.50 Cordoba per hour" which equates to be roughly .65 cents per hour.

She works from 1 to 6pm Monday through Friday as she also works at the school from 7am to noon. I pray that the Lord will use us to be a blessing to her not only financially as her 
employers but spiritually as well.

Back in the states my puppies have all been sold and we are now looking for a new dog handler to take care for future pups...anybody out there know how to handle dogs? (smile)
More to come...




4 comments:

  1. From kids praying in Spanish, to potty-training orphans to slave-labor... lol, to dog handling... I'd say you've covered it all. You guys should make a video-diary of your experiences so we can all see (in real time) what's going on. Do you guys even look the same? I know that Tony has lost a couple lbs; how bout you and the rest of the kids?

    Still sounds like an amazing adventure, keep up the good work-God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! We have all lost weight, but I think that I am the most thrilled about shedding the pounds.
    God bless you too Mr. Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. potty training queen...plz pray for Biddles...he is hacking..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep my sweeties in prayer... I miss them terribly!

    ReplyDelete