Expat Blog

living in Costa Rica

Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter week happenings...

What a great Easter vacation we had here. I did fold and end up going to the swimming hole with the family, but I have to say that I rather enjoyed watching them splash around in the water for a few hours while I read in the shade.



The next day I finally had the pleasure of meeting Selah Grace for the first time. What a precious child of God! 


As I held her tiny body in my arms, I thought of the first time I met Jocelyin in Waspam. I didn't know what the outcome of her pregnancy would be or if I would even be here to see it for myself. But I am so very grateful that the Lord's hand was on this little one and I am believing that her life will be a testimony of God's love. 
Jocelyin by the way is doing great. She is healing up very well from her c-section and blending in with the other girls in the house nicely. (She is a character.)


On Good Friday our Pastor decided that we would do some street ministry. The plan was to pick a spot, bring a ton of plastic chairs and a movie screen and show the Passion of the Christ. What an awesome way to reach the average person walking down the street! Everyone got matching t-shirts and were very excited to get going. 
 I stayed behind to watch over five two year olds including Catiana, Ruby the 13 y/o and 7 y/o Louviana who is almost completely blind (she doesn't realize this of course and couldn't believe that she wasn't able to go).
From what I heard, it was a great success. The children as well as the adults were very touched by the movie and bible tracts and bibles were passed out. 


Easter morning was a bit different here for us as there were no sunrise services that I heard of. No New Easter dresses and suits for the kids. No Easter baskets or decorations to be found. But as I explained to my children begging for their ritualistic Easter candy, the day is all about Jesus. Not that there is anything wrong with the way we have celebrated it in the past, but if that is what they were looking forward to instead of the cross, then we have missed the mark. 

We did do one thing that we do every year. We had a wonderful dinner that Tony prepared for us all . (Lauren,the children at the orphanage and the Pastor and his family). I am always surprised that the food stretches to accommodate all 36 of us. Everyone said that his dinner was delicious!

 After dinner I braided hair for some of the girls as they wanted to get as cute as possible for school the following day. I think this week alone, I spent over 30 hours braiding, which I find ironic that I have voiced many times in the past that I do not like to do hair nor will I sit around doing it. I have not only had to do my girls hair, over and over again. But I have done many other young girls hair. Straight hair, curly hair, wavy hair, kinky hair, long hair and short hair. Even have braided boys hair! I just have one thing to say about that... Do not, I repeat, Do not tell  God what you will or will not be doing!

More to come...





No comments:

Post a Comment